A Delicious Green Smoothie
I have been on the hunt for a delicious green smoothie. And, they are actually a bit hard to find. I have made some weird concoctions with all types of vegetables (cabbage included) that have promised to be delicious but weren’t. But I finally found one.
So, why are green smoothies great?
- They are nutritious with offering vegetables alongside their fruit counterparts. Most green smoothies have about a 60/40 ratio of fruit/vegetables but if you’re comfortable you can aim for 50/50. Some smoothies can rack up calories and sugar with only having fruit in them.
- You have a more nutritionally dense smoothie that offers more vitamins, minerals and antioxidants.
- The alkalinizing benefit of the greens. The body is always striving for balance, including its pH. The Standard American/Canadian Diet is very acidic in nature (meat, animal products, processed foods, sugar). A green smoothie is very alkaline, offering a better balance to your pH.
- They are easier to digest due to being pulverized and blended. Some people can’t digest raw greens well but in a smoothie, you can consume your raw greens, enjoying the benefit of their nutrition without compromising a bloated tummy with gas.
- Great for your bowels. Liquid food is notorious for helping with constipation and adding greens accentuates this. The added fiber and water content of the greens helps keep you hydrated and ensures your bowel movements are easier to pass.
- Who should avoid green smoothies? If you have a history of kidney stones, particularly oxalate stones, talk to your healthcare provider before consuming too many of these.
It’s not too difficult to add spinach or kale to a smoothie without altering the flavour. Try this recipe and see if green smoothies are something you’d want to incorporate into your diet. This one is so delicious, you’ll forget how healthy it is.
*This website is for information purposes only and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment.
564-572 Weber Street North, Unit 3A Waterloo, Ontario N2L5C6