Tips for Restful Sleep and Improving Energy & Mood This Winter
Dr. Nevena Jovanovic, N.D. & Dr. Melanie Reidl, N.D.’s Tips for Restful Sleep and Improving Energy & Mood This Winter
Do you struggle with maintaining your energy and a positive mood thoughout the fall & winter? Do you have trouble falling or staying asleep?
Here are our top 5 recommendations to help with these common concerns.
1) Serotonin-Boosting Foods – Foods that contain the amino acid, tryptophan, help the body produce more of the hormone serotonin. Serotonin is important for energy, sleep, and mood. Eat salmon, chicken, turkey, eggs, nuts and seeds, and spinach to make more natural serotonin!
2) Sunlight Exposure Daily (and Vitamin D3!) – Getting daily exposure to sunlight, especially in the morning, can support your serotonin levels and sleep-wake cycle. Also, make sure to take a Vitamin D3 supplement to get its energy supportive benefits!
3) Exercise – Regular exercise stimulates the release of the hormones serotonin, dopamine, and norepinephrine. These hormones support energy, sleep, and a more positive mood.
4) Supplements that Increase Serotonin or Lower Cortisol – There are several vitamins and herbs that support serotonin production or lower the stress-hormone, cortisol. These include: vitamin B6, magnesium, St. John’s Wort, Ashwaghanda, and other adaptogenic herbs. We can help you choose the best ones and correct dosages for your body.
5) Nervous System Support – Other therapies and practices can positively impact your energy, sleep, and mood hormones. These include: acupuncture, meditation, yoga, and mindfulness practices. We hope you have a healthy, happy winter season. Dr. Nevena Jovanovic, N.D. would be happy to see you to help with any energy, sleep, or mood concerns that present.
564-572 Weber Street North, Unit 3A Waterloo, Ontario N2L5C6